Friday, March 15, 2013

Matisyahu

I am used to typing 'Hasidic' and 'images' in Google and i found this photo of the beautiful face of Matisyahu. A couple of months to remember his name and how to pronounce it.
I used his photo to make a collage on a wall.
I have never heard about him before.
I actually started to check who he was when i saw the reactions of my Hasidic babies looking at his photo and all of them without exception said the same thing about him: "He is not like that anymore".
But i was struck by the tone they all said this sentence: admiration without envy or jealousy.
A sort of musical Messiah…
Even the ones who don't have tv, radio, turning off their phone at home, knew who was this guy.
Yes they know Matisyahu as they don't know The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, David Bowie, Bob Dylan…
Do they listen to his songs in their garçonnière on four wheels? Probably.
I was intrigued by the story of this man which started to tickle my curiosity hormones a lot.
I am not into reggae music, except very old reggae songs by Bob Marley and Prince Buster with his Al Capone song in 1964, a mix of ska /funk/reggae: delightful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaDx6_-WbLs
I watched lots of videos of Matisyahu with his Hasidic face that i loved so much. And i googled his life.
I remembered a video of an interview with a rabbi who told him that he doesn't really like his music and this kind of music but he lent an attentive ear to the lyrics. And the rabbi starts to cry and i start to cry before listening to the song One Day.
Matisyahu was in a middle of a shegetz crisis as i have my shiksa/half-jewish crisis.
He was saying that he was Jewish but he didn't know if he was still Orthodox. He had many interrogations as I can have about my atheist Jewishness or Jewish Atheism.
Finally i bought two songs by him One Day and Youth.
It's Friday, so let's play music…
Shabbos Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment