Friday, March 1, 2013

Following…,

the publication, i received nice messages from Hasidic babies.
One of them was very touching.
Thanks to Unpious, he discovered that he was not the only one to think differently.
He is happy in his personal and professional life but asks for more freedom. He was 'speechless (emotional)' that i replied to him. First time he was talking to a shiksa.
Born and bred in a strict sect, he needs to breath outsider air. He has issue to express himself but by writing me, he does it very well. So much pain and struggle.

I am very intrigued how Hasidic parents are with their children: do they hug, kiss, cuddle them? Can they ask for more affection?
Once, i was in a supermarket in Bed-Stuy, and two kids were sitting on trays. One little girl and one little boy. They played a lot together, pulling and pushing each other. I think they were old enough to be separated at school. The fathers were too busy and focused on the food to buy to let them live their life. I had to be fascinated by this moment, then i am not used to having been raised like that.
I loved to play with my girlfriends and boyfriends, i was in love too.

Why does he think he is different? what does it mean?
What is the definition of a human being?
He is not different, we have been created to think, to have our own conception of life. We are not robots, machines, following rules.

Fear, fear to be abandoned by the outsiders when you don't reply fast.
It is a full-time job, i took the time to share human stories.

Another one said to me that usually the articles on Unpious brings down the community, but not mine. I never had this impression by reading many pieces. If everything was like in a Barbie world, nobody would write about. It's hard for the ones who stay in the community to understand the deep reasons why some left. They use their brain to talk about their anger, frustrations… It's just a way to give  themselves a chance to choose a life they want, to work on it, to think by themselves…
There is always a price to pay when you make choice or not.
I am not able to say which one is the most expensive right now, my life is not over.

I sent the text to French friends. One of them told me that she is scared of my Hasidic babies.
I told her they are more scared by you that you are of them. She admitted to be scared of what she doesn't know, in other words: ignorance.
Even my Jewish friends don't understand why and how i can find an interest: many clichés unfortunately. 'The sheet in the hole' since KADDOSH by Amos Gitai. I asked too at the beginning, all say no.
To live his/her jewishness in France, and maybe in Europe is more complicated than here. How many people asked me if i was Jewish as if they asked me what time it was?
Appearance based-prejudice is common occurrence in France.
Europeans don't like to be invaded, they have known some many wars.
They need a scapegoat. During my childhood, Portuguese and the Spanish were the scapegoats. Then the Arabs, then Africans, then all of them… and Jewish too… depending on the news.

Yes, yes, yes, here i could reply, without turning back my head to see if my mom was there, "I am half-Jewish". "Which half?". According to my mood, i went on having a conversation and sometimes, i just said 'no'.

No comments:

Post a Comment