Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Purim is on its way…

It will be my first one. I never heard about this holy day. My Jewish friends in France don't celebrate. They are not Orthodox, some eat Kosher, other not. Some eat pigs, like in my father family.
I am vegetarian and i love cheese, one of my selfish pleasure when i bought a French one here in NY.
Colored holy days in the 'black' Williamsburg, I am looking forward to seeing that next Sunday.
A Hasidic showed me photos he took last year, that was amazing. How could i miss that? Where i was?
I wondered in these streets so many times.
The suits of the kids are awesome but all the smiles of the faces of these men were beautiful. There was a sort of joy, they were far away from the shul, focusing on their kids, smiles, jokes, laughs…
Let's see if they will be able to talk to me… I d.o.n.t t.h.i.n.k s.o. :-(
Amongst all the Hasidim i had conversation with, i imagined that some might be from my family. One or two gave me their real name, the others not and most of the time, they change their first name, age…
The little i read about the Torah doesn't mention the fear of outsiders. You have to welcome the others but you are not forced to like them.
I asked Arthur about women who shave their hair, and other things concerning Hasidism, his reply was clear: 'The Chasidic world is too often fear-based, close-minded, conformists and intolerant. I suggest sticking with Jewish studies and not watching what other do. Judaism trusts the individual.'
How can't I watch at the others do? The more complicated it is, the more i am attracted to.
I have been once in a Pupu shul for Sukkot, i will never forget what i lived amongst these women asking me questions. I will talk about this experience in another post.
I presume that it's not easy to approach the Satmerer rabbi but i would like to have a conversation with him about all these laws, especially the shaved heads.
During the WWII, to shave the heads of women was a sign of humiliation. Just have a look at the photos of prisoners of camps, look at all these faces so sad, with no names, just a tattooed number on their arm, living in awful conditions: no hygiene, no intimacy…
I have been in Auchswitz, and there was still a smell. I was completely scared, feeling the presence of Nazis everywhere. I have been there by train. This train following the same tracks that the WWII trains followed too. I started to feel bad at the station.
I wanted to spend all the day there, and as one goes along, i couldn't breath anymore.
From Krakow to Auschwitz, one hour and half for 50 kilometers in 1996, that was insane. I thought of all these poor people dedicated to death, spending the last 90 min, often more, in these trains, starving and thirsty.
I spent time in the old ghetto of Warsaw, I love this place and the streets around. To see all these men in black in Williamsburg projected me there. These streets are empty of its inhabitants now.
So Purim is a joyful holy day, and i will be there to celebrate it with my spy camera.
Some photos i took during my strolls.













No comments:

Post a Comment