Sunday, February 17, 2013

how i felt…

I was a curious child. I used to run away from my mom at the market to ask many questions to people who were different from me. She was embarrassed when she found me in conversation with unknown people who were always nice to reply to my questions.
The only ones who were unfriendly were two nuns in a train. I didn't understand why they slept with their hat.
Anyway…
I haven't been raised religiously. My mom is independent, open-minded and didn't want to impose a religion to her children. I could choose mine. I chose none, but my heart chose one.
I had friends from all over the world, religious or not.
I was fascinated by the stories of two Catholic friends when they talked about the catechism. That sounded fun! They had outdoor activities with other kids.
But i felt that i wasn't completely attracted to the church because i was not a believer and i didn't like the scent in there. At the thought of praying, i was completely uncomfortable or scared of getting the giggles.
I felt half Jewish but not in a religious way and i found the answer by reading 'The Torah for dummies'.
Before being a religion, Jews are a family. And by extension, we are first human beings before being Jewish, black, white…
I always felt the notion of family with my Jewish friends. They didn't have a perfect family but it was there if they needed it: very strong ties. Most of my Jewish friends were Sephardic. Their stories and practice were completely different from mine.
I have been to church services, and i was really bored. I left the churches, went back when i was playing the tourist.
I remembered that people asked me or my mom if i was Jewish or not. I left my mom reply, and if i was alone, i said 'no'. I dislike lying, and especially when you are a kid and we teach you not to lie. And i had to do it all the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment