Thursday, April 3, 2014

More than 50%

Life is always full of surprises, and i take the good surprise with enthusiast.
Yesterday i was googling something about Hasidim, and i found a man who has the same last name than my mother. I sent him an email to ask him if by any chance, he knew if this name might be Jewish.
I don't actually expect a reply from him.
So i googled the name of my mom and, bang!
I nearly had a heart attack when i found that it's a common Sephardic surname. I knew about the Catalonian roots of the name but it is a 100% Jewish name.
Not only it explains why my mom has this attraction to the Jewish people but also it opens another part of my family story and i have Jewish blood from my mother's father.
A famous American writer who made researches about the name we have in common, found out that his family was probably Jewish. I will buy his book.

Every Saturday i call my mom, and i hope she won't have a heart attack when i will tell her she has probably Jewish blood. Ouch!
My mom has a brother and a half sister. The brother has the same father than my mother.
My maternal grand-mother, after her husband died during the WWI, got married and had a daughter.
During the WWII, my mother and her brother have been sent in Normandy and lived with a nanny. The little sister stayed in Paris.
I have to ask my mom when the little sister was born. My mom said she was in Normandy because Paris was starving, and it was easier to feed kids in the countryside. That's true, but maybe there is another explanation why they have been sent away. I have also to ask her if she kept her name at school or if she took the name of the nanny during these dark days.
My grand-mother died of breast cancer, probably in the 50s or 60s. So i never met her. My mom didn't have a good relationship with her. My grandma had issues to understand the need of freedom and independence of my mother. She was a rebel.

Most of the people who had this name got converted to Christianity and they immigrated in 3 main European countries. I am not going to elaborate to give you hints to google me, stalk me and i will have to spank you! :-)
I talked to a friend who is doing the same researches about her mother's family before thinking of a conversion. She knew about my name. She gave me the address of a Jewish library where i might find the genealogy of my family. They use the Mormons files for help.

I have to make researches about the maiden name of my maternal grand-ma.

I didn't have a photo of my grand-parents. :-(


Another chapter of my life just started. 
I don't have only 50% of Jewish blood, i added percentages yesterday night. It's for my next journey of the pursuit of them to put a number on them.
I will close one chapter very soon probably, and start the third part of my life.
I left my country to find something somewhere else. And i didn't expect to find something else here in Brooklyn.
I know that i can't stay here anymore. I never moved my stuffs from my Parisian storage. I felt i didn't have to do it. It will be for my next country of immigration probably.

Thanks Ernest for reading my painful soul… :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment