Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Jewish food

I have a question, yes one again.
How do you handle Jewish food in your stomachs?
I am following different blogs, websites… and they talk a lot about food.
America has a food obsession.
I feel a sort of permanent starvation to be so obsessed by food.

I come from a family of foodie people. My mom talks a lot about what will be her next meal. She can have five meals a day without putting on weight. I am not able to follow her in her foodie journey.
Each time she knows i will come back in Paris, she talks about the restaurants where we will go.
I am sick by advance.
When she was young, her boyfriends were all impressed by the quantity of food she could swallow, like a man's stomach. :-)
She is looking after my French cat who likes sleeping on her laps during hours: "I can't eat, i don't want to interrupt her rest."
"Come on, it's a cat! The laziest animal of the world!"
Such a beautiful feline sacrifice! As you know, cats and dogs don't wear a watch but they know perfectly at what time they have to eat. :-)

I am foodie too but i can be sick fast if i eat too much. I can't eat junk food either, i will be sick within the following 5 minutes.

Pessah and its 10 days of recipes with the matzo. Many of you don't really like this bread. I used to eat some when i was a kid and i liked it. I didn't remember where i ate it, but its taste lingered in my mind a long time ago.
Each year, the discussion about the quinoa and other food to know if they are Pessah-able or not was online! And the difference between Sephardic and Ashkenazi food for this holiday too.
Why to ask me to quit the French baguette for matzo?
I checked some recipes on My Jewish Learning that they have posted everyday. Some seemed very yummy but they remained just photos on my laptop screen finally. I don't have the time and the patience to make them.

Does this food obsession already exist before the WWII? I think so.
The lack of food drove some Jewish people crazy. Who can blame them? Nobody.

Some people told me that when they are hungry, they only focus on their stomach till it's full. The world around them doesn't exist anymore. I never had this kind of thought.
What is your favorite meal? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? All of them? :-)

Food is an obsession in the Hasidic community.
Hasidic women spend time in their kitchen, cooking for their husband and children.
Does they cook well? I don't know. Some Hasidim complained to me. I can't help, sorry! :-)

The challah bread will be back on the shelves soon, and i bet there will be a recipe of French toast challah following Shabbos. That's a very old French recipe that we call it pain perdu, it means wasted bread. Usually you use an old bread, hard like a stone to make this recipe. Here, you use fresh bread of any kind. I enjoy it too! :-)

About every two months, there is a Jewish holiday and its torrent of recipes.
How do you do? Are you sick sometimes?
I am intrigued.
You can reply that the French are obsessed by food too. You are right. :-)
But if there was a competition to take measure of the level of food obsession between the French and Hasidim, who will win?
Which will win the competition of the different recipes of matzo and hamantaschen?

Are you smelling the scent of the cheesecake for Shavuot? :-)
I know someone who likes the one his wife makes! But sha!

pain perdu obsession on a laptop screen, ©Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment