Monday, February 17, 2014

What is a soul?

Good question indeed!
Why soul music? Is Gospel soul music…?
A soul remains eternal, it never dies. Gogol wrote a book called Dead Souls. I read it. I remember nothing about this book. I had to Google it. No more souvenirs. I was not probably in the mood, it didn't catch my attention that much. The speech about this book on Wikipedia seems very interesting indeed: a story about a main character as i like.
I am more into Dostojevski, more into drama literature. My favorite books are The Idiot and Crime and Punishment. In German literature, i love a book written by Alfred Döblin Berlin Alexanderplatz, adapted later by Fassbinder in a mini-series of 14 hours.
In these books, you touch and feel the soul of the characters. They are not Jewish. :-(

This question asked by a Yid, as he calls himself. He lives abroad.
So, what is the soul in Judaism?
He sent me what Aryeh Kaplan said "The soul could be in Heaven and operating our bodies by remote control like in surrogates." Just this sentence is very complicated to understand for me. :-)
I bought his book Jewish Meditation, i didn't start yet!
And he pasted what Wikipedia said:
"Kabbalah separates the soul into five elements corresponding to the 5 worlds:
- Neplesh, related to natural instinct
- Ruach, related to emotion and morality
- Neshamah, related to intellect and the awareness of God
- Chayah, considered a part of God, as it were
- Yechidah, also termed the pintele Yid (the "essential [inner] Jew"). This aspect is essentially one with G-d."
I need Freud once again. I can agree with the natural instinct, emotion, morality, intellect… For the rest, i need more explanation… Or a belief in Dog…
He sent me a blessing for something very special. I don't want to post it because it's disgusting and it's time for lunch for this part of the world. In Judaism it seems to have a blessing for everything…
So far, human beings can have a Jewish soul, but the fifth point can make the difference if it's a Jewish soul or not.
He recommended me a book which seems very interesting The Great Partnership: Science, Religion, and the Search for Meaning by Jonathan Sacks.
Let's see if that book will clear my Jewish soul up.
I started to learn Hebrew and i am reading a book given by the Jewish baby in his 50s Letters of Light by Rabbi Aaron L. Raskin. I always liked the typography and if the letters have a sort of etymology, i like it more. That book is very interesting in many points. I never asked the question of the history of letters when i learned the Latin and Russian alphabet.

The Jewish baby called me to hang out because his girlfriend is skiing upstate, or to come in his hoarder apartment/gallery. I will hang out probably with him, but not in his place.
It will be a real show in the bar, and i will laugh a lot! :-)
He is very interesting, and has a knowledge of Judaism and European culture.

Do you remember the young Hasidic, the virgin one who wanted to hang out with me?
He changed his mind to be back to his religious life.
http://meshiksahasidicroots.blogspot.com/2013/12/emotions-back-to-devotion-love.html
He sent me texts two or three weeks ago: he made the big jump and slept with a girl.
I decided to not reply because he had been insulting with me. I don't blame him or hold a grudge. He apologized because he has understood he might have hurt me with his incisive words. Apologies accepted but i didn't want to have a conversation with him anymore. He has to live his life. I actually appreciated that he apologized. Bless you very young H baby! :-)
Hope is in red and blue balloons, 2004 Crown Heights, ©emmarubinstein

No comments:

Post a Comment