Thursday, January 16, 2014

Take it or leave it


When i started to be involved in this community, i didn't know the Hasidic rules i will have to follow.
I am still amusing by the enthusiasm of the Hasidic novices who talk to a gentile for their first time.
That's so obvious for me to talk to anyone without thinking if (s)he is black, white, Muslim, Jewish…
I feel like an extraterrestrial for the Hasidim.
They live in a big city surrounding by different communities, so they see us…
We don't hide, turn our back when we meet these men in black…

Two days ago, a Hasidic i know, came to my work place spontaneously.
A friend of mine, in her 30s, who lives in Crown Heights since she is 3 years old, had never spoken to a Hasidic.
She was a little bashful but the Hasidic and I were very comfortable to talk about anything.
He is this kind of Hasidic with who we can launch an impromptu party.
I washed my dirty laundry by teasing him. 
He lied about some stuffs and i am an enthusiastic to say things more in person than by email.
That was not a big deal, it was a need to voice them out.
He likes dancing, and Shlomo Carlebach was on the dance-floor. :-)
I like this Hasidic, and i punched his peyos friendly.
I asked my friend to touch his peyos, it's like to touch the red bobble hat of a French sailor, it brings you luck.
I decided that it's one of my rules to touch peyos to bring me luck!
In my country, when you do something for the first time, you make wishes.
She made two: first time she talked to a Hasidic and hugged him. :-)

This Hasidic is comfortable in my world with his neat peyos like an attraction for girls!

I tried to understand why, we, outsiders, have to follow the conditions of Hasidim.
They decide when we meet.
They decide when they have to disappear.
They decide when they are warm and friendly.
They decide to dive in a religious coldness.
They decide what they expect from you.

That's a real machismo world, and as a feminist, i dislike a strong male domination.
I am for sex equality. 

I don't ask them for meeting anymore, i let them come to me, as i let them go when they are dominated by their religious reason.
I don't need explanations either.
I am just an observer.
They taught me a lot how to handle my emotions, to protect myself.
There is nothing to understand.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwKAoPsIgBE
Foggy Crown Heights, January 2014 ©emmarubinstein




No comments:

Post a Comment