Saturday, January 4, 2014

"Salt To This Sea", "Little Town Of Bethlehem" & a beard folk story…

Two new movies for this week-end you can watch on Netflix.

-Salt to the Sea by Annemarie Jacir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMAWXLaEyA
The synopsis ©YouTube
Annemarie Jacir's politically charged feature debut is the story of Soraya (Suheir Hammad), a Brooklyn-born woman who travels to Palestine to retrieve her grandfather's savings, frozen in a Jaffa bank account after his 1948 exile. Struggling to feel at home in the land of her ancestors — and rebuffed by the country's financial institutions — she meets Emad, a young Palestinian whose ambition, contrary to hers, is to leave forever. Tired of the constraints that dictate their lives, they devise a plan to reclaim what is theirs — whatever the consequences may be.

It's a fiction, based on real historic events. I enjoyed it except the constant anger of the main character Soraya.
When she arrives in the house which used to belong to her grand-father, she has a nervous breakdown with the new Israeli owner.
I found it very 'violent'. I understand that she is upset but the new owner is not responsible for the past.
She needs to be back to her roots as i am. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4r3eytvNks

The same subject of a 'stolen apartment' has been treated in this movie too, Sarah's Key by Gilles Paquet-Brenner, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AmxnNxiNWA
The trailer doesn't show the part i was talking about above.
This movie touched me a lot, knowing what the French Nazi have done to the French Jews just to save their own skin. Yuk!

-Little Town Of Bethlehem by Jim Hanon, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XB3WN5ZCCg
The synopsis ©YouTube
An inspiring true story of three men--and Israeli Jew, a Palestinian Muslim, and a Palestinian Christian-- in a land gripped by fear, hatred, and division. Expected to be enemies, they instead strive together to end the cycle of violence.
I love what the Israeli Jew says about his country: "And, in a way, stories that my father and mother would tell me and things that I read and songs that I sang, I used to feel, as a child, that my country, Israel, is like me. Sometime I am sad, sometime I am happy, sometime I'm in danger, sometime I'm strong, sometime I'm weak. I felt that I am my country and my country is me."
How do you feel your country Israeli people? And the others? Especially Hasidim? How do you feel America? Free in America to express your religion, to have the right to live as you want?
How do i feel mine and USA? I need to create another blog to reply.
I feel a certain difference between Manhattan and Brooklyn.
I love Europe for sure but i don't feel 'my country is me.' I always felt a citizen of the world simply, traveling in different continents.
This documentary is well-documented with a historical reminder about Israel, MLK (Martin Luther King), and Gandhi.


I send to a Hasidic what i wrote many months ago about the peyos:
http://meshiksahasidicroots.blogspot.com/2013/03/what-kind-of-peyos-are-you.html
He was laughing his peyos off, and in return he sent me this story, and i am still laughing my boobs off!
Oups :-)
There has been this man who had grown a very long beard. One day someone asked him where he places his beard every night: on top of the cover or beneath it? The bearded man shrugged and laughed. He never thought about it. 
Next day the man with the beard meets the fellow who asked him the question and tells him: i couldn't sleep all night. As i got into bed, i began thinking about your question and i've asked myself: indeed, where DO i place the beard? But whatever he tried felt uncomfortable.
Will he sleep tonight or will he have an peyos obsession?


And a song to listen when you are reading this post for all the holy hip hop souls on this earth.

Welcome dans mon jardin d'hiver* (*in my winter garden),
Crown Heights,  January 2014, ©emmarubinstein

No comments:

Post a Comment