Friday, August 8, 2014

"Perlasca" by Alberto Negrin

"The war will show the worst of us."
I heard these words in a series about WWII, Generation War.
My issue with movies about Holocaust, is that they have to be based on real events, and/or real story of persons.
This series wants us to believe that all the main characters were real by ending the last episode with the dates of birth and death of these persons. I googled and i found out that they never existed. Too bad!

The war can show the best of us
Perlasca, an Italian hero, like his 'brother' Schindler are the perfect examples that in the worse situation, you can find a way to do something good. Even a very small drop in the ocean is a drop.
"Perlasca became a supporter of Fascism, fighting in East Africa during the Second Italo-Abyssinian War, and in the Spanish War (Corpo Truppe Volontari), where he received a gratitude safe conduct for Spanish embassies from Francisco Franco. He grew disillusioned with Fascism, in particular due to the alliance with Nazism and the anti-Semitic laws that came into force in 1938." ©Wikipedia.

The movie takes place in Budapest during the WWII.
A link of a trailer of 17 minutes will give you a better idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJDlZD2bHA

Perlasca is like NY, the city which never sleeps. He is always on the move, and at the edge.
He has a duty: to save Jewish people, not because they are Jewish, but because he has to do something to fight against human injustice.
He became a witty liar, only for the cause.
He was very resourceful, and found many stratagems to move the Jews from a place to another one.
Thanks to his energy to make things happen, he saved 5,000 Jews.
My favorite scene is the one at the train station. He has a list of names of Jews to make them get out of the train on its way to concentration camps.
He whispered in the ear to all the Jews on the list: "Give me a name." He has to save the most Jews he can.
His adrenaline is high, he has a human challenge. 
I imagine that the real events showed in this movie had to be more intense.
I don't think that he spoke Hungarian, he probably used a lot the body language to make him understand by the Jews. 
With all the emotions of fear which were very high amongst the Jews, that was not easy for him to handle hundred of people in the same time.

In the movie, we learned nothing about his personal life. He put it to one side.
His purpose is to save lives at any price, he has faith.

The only regret of this movie is that the poor quality of the cinematography.
It should have deserved a better production. That's pity.
Giorgio Perlasca/ aka Jorge Perlasca for the Nazis, ©all rights reserved

During my vacation of three weeks in Poland, my emotions too were very high and deep.
I was with a Christian friend, Lebanese, adopted by a French family.
Few days after visiting Auschwitz, we went to Zakopane. Both of us didn't speak Polish. My friend spoke a little German.
We had a hard time to find the house where we were going to spend 4 days.

I have never seen a family so horrible.
Honestly, i was scared that they kill us during the night. 
Screams and barking of the wild animals and the dogs didn't help me to sleep better.
We couldn't lock the door of our room, i slept like a hen, with one eye opened.
They shut down the water when we were taking our shower.
They looked at us like we were monsters when we left in the morning.
They never opened their mouth to say hello.
One morning, my friend left the house before me.  
The son, in his late 20s came in our room in a fury.
Cold sweats.
My Lithuanian blood helped me to keep my cold blood not to show emotion of fear.
He apologized, finding a weird excuse with a few words of English he knew.
I was scared that he rapes me.
He left.
I imagined so many things about this family:
- Have their ancestors been Nazis during the war?
- If i have told them that i have Jewish blood, what would happen?
My friend was less emotional than me, and handled the situation better than me.
So glad to leave them the last day.

Personal message for Crown-Heighters:
If you bump into this man, be nice and give him some money.
Credit cards accepted. :-)
It's Shabbos and it's for a Hachnusath Kallah!

Around 770, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein


No comments:

Post a Comment