Monday, August 18, 2014

Before Shabbat Chabadabada…

… Mon cœur qui bat* (*my heart is beating)
Chabadabada…
A French movie by Claude Lelouch (Sephardi name), in 1966, A Man and A Woman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43yjI6cles
I prefer this video below, it's the last scene. A French movie without a love story is not a French movie.
Sorry, we are terribly romantic, and totally cheesy for many Americans. :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_ehpxZMWU


Chabad Shabbat in Crown Heights, how is it?
The best time is around 1:30 - 2pm, if you want to feel the Shabbat effervescence.
It's called Shabbat shopping, the ladies are still in the streets before coming back home to cook.
Kingston is electric, so i am.
Chabad has different styles: black hats, relaxed and the new one: hipster hasid.
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
All the buses have rest.
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
The sellers of flowers are at the corner of streets. The tradition is to bring a bouquet of flowers to your beloved, or not, wife. If you are single, buy one for yourself, make you happy. A house without flowers is a house without life. I am kidding! :-)
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein

During the summer, some come back home in the city, or leave to spend the week-end upstate.
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein 
Steamed peyos, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
When Boro meets Crown Heights, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein 
The New Kids On The Block, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
Why Tank on?, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
Shabbat dance, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein
Cute rascals, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein

Charity before Shabbat is a good business.
Chabad ladies are very persistent with charity. I find that a little annoying. I am not sure that the money that you give them in hands is going to a pushka.
Shoe and charity, at the 770, August 2014, ©emmarubinstein

Then, you come back home with your challah in a plastic bag, not like a French baguette under your arm.


On Saturday, Jonathan Sacks talked to me:
"Teach children to love, and they will have hope. Teach them to hate, and they will have anger and the desire of revenge. Thinking about the past leads to war. Thinking about the future helps us to make peace."
That was the gimmicks of Hashem, at the page 299, 2 pages before ending the book.
Another way to show what will be one of my next jobs in the Holy Land.
I got You, i told You! :-)


On Sunday, i was on my way to Bensonhurst to meet up my Jewish Russian mother.
In the subway, i met this Hasidic man.
It's always a mitzvah to have a Hasidic in my car.
It's also one of my new game: to find a car where there is a Hasidic.
I forgot that he is not able to talk to me. I had this obviousness that i can talk to him.
He now belongs to my environment.
He made me think of The Thinker by Auguste Rodin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thinker
August 2014, ©emmarubinstein

As you know, my Jewish Russian mother is an angel.
We were not close at the beginning. But an incident in my life made us be closer to each other.
She introduced me to her children. Both are in College. They are angels too.
I started to give them things that i don't want to move.
I was in a Dostojevski house, using what i imagined a samovar for tea.
Dostojevski was not Jewish but he talks a lot about religion in his books. Religious crisis.
Whatever what we are religious or not, religion has always been impressive and intriguing.
She got converted, not her children who are not into religion.
She showed me her adorable old shul.
She explained me that she was not ready yet for all the things not to do during Shabbos.
She doesn't use her telephone, and doesn't watch TV. But she showers, dish wash.
I admitted that i sin too. I like my Challah toasted on Saturday morning. :-)
Hashem forgives me, because He knows that toasted is more easily digestible. Sometimes, the Challah burns because, i am losing my mind in a Jewish book that i am reading during my breakfast.

Then, she talked about her family. She used to live in Moscow but she is Georgian, Russia. It's in the south of Russia. They have been invaded many times by muslims from the south.
I don't remind you the crisis of Georgia with Mr Putin.
I hope that one day, someone will make a second hole in his tushes.
The rabbi that she met for her conversion, asked her $10,000. That's totally insane. Conversion is free except  the classes, the mikhveh… The rabbi offered a discount of 50%.
She told me that she is suspicious if she is not born Jewish finally. Her great grandmother used to cover her body like the Hasidim. She refused to roll up her sleeves for laundry.
In old times, the cleavage was not trendy, and women covered more their body.
But, the most intriguing thing is that she kept Shabbos without mentioning it. She lighted candles, refused any work. Once, my Russian mother had a pair of scissors in her hands, and she screamed not to touch it. She didn't sew during Shabbos, it was a total rest.
She also think that the name of her great grandmother is Jewish because of its ending. She would like to go back to Georgia to make some researches. I told her that she can start on Internet with the help of her daughter.
I advised her, if she is confirmed Jewish-born, to go and meet this rabbi and to tell him that he stole a sister. :-)

I hope that one day, i can afford to buy her a flight ticket for Paris. She loves when i speak French, she closes her eyes. Yesterday she learned how to say I love you, "Je t'aime". Voilà !

No comments:

Post a Comment