Monday, October 14, 2013

Hasidic woman

The other day, a Hasidic woman came where i worked to give me some flyers. She was from Crown Heights. She was wearing large and fashion sunglasses.
I felt something wrong with her. Her voice was quavering and her pinkish cheeks were swelling.
First thought was she was alcoholic. I had the need to talk more with her, sticking on my first thought.
I was realizing when i was talking to her that this woman just cried.
And she had a job to do with these flyers to give everywhere in the neighborhood.
I had two options: to be straightforward and ask her what happened or to talk to her about anything and nothing to help her to forget during few minutes the drama she is living. I was in a tricky situation. I was thinking of this woman who committed suicide recently because of the custody of her children and how her family treated her after her choice to leave the community.
To be straightforward should have been the best but in NY, to ask personal questions doesn't work. I am always surprised when people say they are friends since 15 years but know nothing about each other. What are they talking about when they meet?
I am used to asking many questions because i want to know people and not to be in a shallow friendship.
So i was caught between two stools: American or Hasidic world. Who is in the denial the most?
I chose my denial and she asked me where i was from and told me her son was in a Yeshiva in France.
I asked her if her name was on the flyer but she remains behind the wall she told me.
I might probably meet her again. I hope so and if i feel the drama remains, i will take the first option before it's too late.
Some photos of Leonard Freed below…
The star of David and swastikas sprayed on the walls of Jerusalem.1972 .
© Leonard Freed/Magnum Photo

ISRAEL. Jerusalem, Meashearim, Purim holiday .
© Leonard Freed/Magnum Photo

ISRAEL. Sefat. 1967. Middle Eastern and North African Jewish women.
© Leonard Freed/Magnum Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment