Friday, July 4, 2014

An Edward Hopper drink

It was with a Hasidic man that i know for a while. We had never met before that evening.

Last time, we had to meet up, he had a crisis of paranoia, and threw me away. The reason was that i didn't want to tell him what was my job. He had to send me an email for more explanations and disappeared hasidic-ly finally.

My intuition told me that he will be back into the picture one day.
I didn't try to argue, i took it as it was, and left it as it was.

He knew about the closing down of my business and wanted to give me another retail space to manage. I didn't tell him that i will leave the USA.

I moved on.
He called me, the week after the closing. I didn't take the call, thinking that it was a mistake. It took me time to remember who he was.

One week later, he sent me an email where he apologized about his behavior. He is not the kind of one who disappears without explanation. Hum hum! :-)
The reason was different this time: he had a big family issue to resolve.

I was honest with him, and told him that i was not sure to be ready for another childlike crisis. It has been pretty clear that he threw me away for myself not for a family problem.

We finally had an explanation on the phone. He is very energetic, and talkative.

I slept on our conversation, and gave him a second chance.
But i had to calm him down, and to explain him not to worry when i don't reply within the next hour. I am not available 24/24.
He acts with good intentions.

He is also very generous, and that embarrasses me a lot.
Before the crisis, he wanted to buy me a new phone to stop complaining about mine. I refused.

Then, he sent me to a Kosher supermarket in Crown Heights. He knows that i like going in this kind of place to meet Hasidim. But he offered me to pay my food, i only had to give my phone number to the register, he already opened an account. I refused once again.
He had many mouths to feed, and sorry, i have not been bred this way.
I told him to be more cautious with strangers.
He had a good feeling about me, but that's not a reason.

I offered him to have a drink this week. He had to choose the place where he will feel comfortable.
He offered me to pick me up, and i realized too late that i don't go in the car for the first meeting.
I too had a good feeling.
I never heard stories about a hasidic serial-killer of gentiles, but a abuser, yes. :-)
I never punched someone in the face, if i have to defend myself, but i can scream loud. :-)

I was on the back seat, it was not yet dark outside. It was great to have a Hasidic 'taxi driver'.
He already sent me a photo, i didn't do it.
I didn't recognize him as a person, but i have no doubt that he could be him: white shirt, black pants, and kippah that looks like a pancake. :-)

I checked out the bar first. Everything was fine.
There was a billiard and the ambiance became an Edward Hopper painting, when it started to be dark outside.
http://www.google.com/search?q=edward+hopper&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=P_G2U9S8JYuPyASLm4KgAw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1169&bih=706

Billiard in a bar somewhere in Brooklyn, ©emmarubinstein

He liked the music from the 80s and 90s that played in the bar.
I didn't know all the titles of the song, i encouraged him to downloaded the Shazam application.

He cries when he watches French movies. :-)
He used to love a French song by a singer, a great voice like Céline Dion. I can't stand this kind of singers.
It's a love song, and she repeats the same refrain, and it breaks my balls. :-)
She is not famous in USA, but maybe in Canada. It was the first time an American talked about her.
Usually, Americans ask me about Edith Piaf. If you meet me up, avoid Edith Piaf, and the movie Amélie from Montmartre in the subject of conversation, i will have to leave the table. :-)
I like being surprised. Once i was at a Seder in a Hasidic house, and amongst the conversations about religion and politics, a man with a ski hat talked about Jean Genet. That caught my attention. Wow, Jean Genet at a Hasidic seder! :-)
Who he is? He was a close friend to the couple Simone de Beauvoir / Jean-Paul Sartre. He wrote amazing plays, novels… He was a rebel! :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Genet
I was too bashful to ask the man about his knowledge about this French writer.

He comes from a very strict sect. He spends time on his laptop, watching TV shows, listening to different styles of music…

His relationship with his wife is so so.
She is beautiful, and a good mother, but this arranged marriage is not a good match.
They have nothing in common.
He knew true love before getting married.
He thought that love will come with the years. It didn't.

I don't want to elaborate his stories, but he finds happy exits with the things he likes.
I was one of them that night.

He admitted that he was moody, something that i didn't guess during our online exchanges.

Around us, a bunch of American boys and girls playing billiard. They can't play without screaming.
They looked at us, with a little surprise. It was more a interrogative look of which one of both of us was the alien: the woman or the Hasid.

He went to the bathroom to wash his hands and came back praying. I let him live his life.

He told me to check the payos of the Breslov Hasidim, i will love them. :-)

One of the American girls who was playing, laid on the billiard, vulgarly.
I wanted to take a photo with the Hasid on the foreground, but i don't take photos of my drinks companion.
So i sketched it below!
That cracked me up!

Watch your back! ©emmarubinstein
On our way back to my place, i was on the back seat because he wanted to cross Lee Avenue. He knows that i like this street a lot, and i can't be seen with him.
That was very kind of him. All my babies in the street, they were so cute.

End of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment