Monday, August 19, 2013

Why i started this blog

First it was to talk about my research about my roots and also a part of my family who lives here and that i don't know.
And finally, i talk about my Hasidic experiences with my H babies. Through their stories, i build my past, an imaginary past of the old ones living in the 21rst century with the habits of old times.
I talked with 2 H babies from Crown Heights recently, and they told me to check on a website. I forgot the name right now. You can try to find your ancestry.
I have two big issues, i don't have the first name of my grand-father and i just have the first name and last name of my grand-mother, her married name.
The best way is to start by France and ask the city Hall of Neuilly-sur-Seine where my dad was born, i presume. And i could have the names of my grand-parents, if they were born in Vilnius or another city in Lithuania. I might have more information about their brothers, sisters if they had ones.

Yesterday i talked with a woman. We had already talked a couple of months ago about a French movie called 'Rabbi Jacob' (1973) with Louis de Funès. He is one of a typically French funny actor.
This movie shows him dancing with Hasidim. His character is very racist, very old-fashioned French…
It's very funny how he is shocked when he learned that his driver is Jewish. He doesn't know what it means to be Jewish. His ignorance is hilarious.
This is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwHaK86DsM
You can watch the movie on Youtube with English subtitles.
She is designer and she gave me her business card. I saw her last name, that's mine.
I told her and asked her if she has family in France: no. But she remembered she has been to a wedding and the bride had the same first name that my father.
She would like to organize a big meeting in Central Park with all the people who have the same name than ours. How many will we be? She is happy each time she meets someone with the same name. Me too.

In the same time, i have online conversation with a French H baby, a Lubavitch who lives in the same area where i used to live in Paris. He thinks that Americans are more open-minded with Hasidim. He prefers to meet an American shiksa when he comes here 2, 3 times a year. That's weird for me to speak French with a Hasidic.

I keep on selecting all the emails i traded so far. Sometimes i re read them and i can see how ignorant i was and how many things i have to learn to be a 'perfect' Jewish shiksa.


No comments:

Post a Comment