Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Yerushalayim: first two days

After a long trip, the flight was delayed because of a technical issue of the plane, i landed for new adventures.
A cute old Jewish man, Roissy CDG airport, Paris, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
The adventure started at the airport, surrounding with only Jews. That was the last flight of the night.
They found another plane from a Bosnia Air Company: cold sweats when we arrived by bus on the tarmac of the airport.
We were all crammed into the bus, like a train for concentration camp. I was not the only one to think about that. A man with electrical peyos next to me said that it was probably a joke when he saw the name of the air company.
The man with electrical peyos, Roissy CDG airport, Paris, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
The trip was fine, i could lie on the three seats. next to me, there was a frum man, maybe a rabbi. When i opened my eyes, i had the good surprise to see him with his tefilin, davening. Then i stood up behind me for the following. I felt under his protection and thought that i will be safe once we land.
My protector, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Then, the bus, and my first conversation with an Israeli born bus driver. He forgot to let me know the stop for the other bus which will lead me to Yerushalayim. His last stop was in a military camp. Ouch!
He said that he was happy that Europe and the rest of the world is aware that Islamist terrorism is not only an Israeli issue but an international one.
Then the other bus, with a lady who decided to bother me with my arm and my backpack.
I traveled along a weapon of a soldier! :-)
I didn't have the energy to argue, and ignore her. She had a crush on the bus driver. :-)
A military man at the bus stop, Ben Gourion, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
I met the lady who rent a room for the year in the apartment. She is Mexican but she used to live in LA since her childhood. She is a real character: a convert because her mother couldn't find the papers. She is looking after the snoring dog of the owner which falls asleep like a hen. Pretty funny!

She read the New Testament and the Koran, and she is pretty affirmative that it's written in their book that they have to kill the unfaithful people. She dislikes Arabs a lot.
She made her Aliyah one year and half.
She thought that i was a Christian. First time that i heard that. :-)

Modernity, luxury and paths of crusades, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Yesterday, that was a long day of walk as i like it a lot.
I started by the windmill where i met a Lubavitch romantic couple in the gan around.
A romantic Hasidic couple, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
I arrived at the Jaffa gate and i started to see my beloved peyos men. They have amazing peyos. They walk differently than in NY, they seem more relaxed.
Jaffa gate is the gate to go to Mea Sharim.
Davening and walking, Jaffa gate, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein 
Amazing peyos, Jaffa gate, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
I crossed various bazars, probably Arab ones. The men all have talked to me in Russian. I confirmed that i have a Russian face. :-)
I found my way to the Western Wall, and arrived by the side that i wanted.
I would like to visit the tunnels but it seems that the entry is on the men side.
Western Wall, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
I spent some time there, and i noticed that the only couple allowed to be together is a couple of pigeons. The male pigeon decided to follow his beloved wife in the women section. That's pretty romantic!
Pigeons in love, Western Wall, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Then, i left by the Jewish area and once again i was in the Arab section. One guy asked me for coming in his store to bring him luck. No thanks! I know how it works when i was in Tunisia and Istanbul.
Arab section, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Arab section with lots of colored signs, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Later, a taxi driver bothered me a lot too. He started the conversation by telling me that i should smile, because everybody is smiling in Yerushalayim. Kidding? :-)
He was very persistent to drop me off in Bethlehem. It was ten minutes from the place i live. I said that if it is ten minutes by car, i can make it by foot. "Nobody is going there by foot."
Anyway, he ran after me to give me his phone number that i refused to take.
He had a hard time to understand that i have to live my things alone.
I was on my way to Mea Sharim, and i didn't want him to come with me.
Man combing his beard and peyos with lot of care, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Mea Sharim didn't change, and i will spend more time there. I smiled to the ladies, they didn't smile at me back. As you know, i am persistent, so i will go to their store and start a conversation.
On my way to Mea Sharim, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
He stopped walking and closed his eyes when he saw me,
Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Hiding behind his hat: no photos, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
I met, i think so, Toldos Aharon, and i fell in love with their striped grey coat.
Their white kippah like a funnel is very cute.
Some men closed their eyes when they saw me.
Hasidic and Muslim (or Haredi burqa?), Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Little rascal looking at the whole garbage, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Rascals running in Mea Sharim, Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Not even a work to ask me for moving. He used his book.
All is forgiven when you have nice peyos,
Yerushalayim, January 2015, ©emmarubinstein

No comments:

Post a Comment