Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Haifa

I took the train and I have a great conversation with a Bulgarian survivor of the WWII.
She speaks Bulgarian, Ladino, Romanish, English and Hebrew.
She explained how were the war times in her country. The Bulgarian government protected lots of Jews.

Above my head, on the bed where i slept in my friend's place,
"If you face lights up, it's a sign you are alive", Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Eating his transportation card, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein 
Bahai Gardens: mother and son, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein

Haifa has a huge Russian community. And most of the time, people thought that I was one of them. Such a surprise when I replied to them that I didn't speak Russian very well.
The first thing that I did to them is to show them my tushes not deliberately. I fell in the bus like an old sock on the floor in the bus. They helped me.
I was on my way to meet my friend from high school, and I was laughing to imagine if that happened in the classroom.
My friend didn't change. Her family is adorable.
She is religious: modest but she doesn't wear a wig. She covers her hair when she is going to shul services.
That was not easy for her to be with a Baal Teshuva. There were lots of arguments between them.
She accepted things.
Her children are in a religious school. The youngest one doesn't like school.
Her husband wears a kippah when we were eating.
We celebrated Tu BiShvat all together.
We met sometimes during the day, but most of the time, I lived my life.

Food errands for Tu BiShvat, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein 
Food errands for Tu BiShvat: the choice, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein 
Food errands for Tu BiShvat, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Food errands for Tu BiShvat, happy, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Dragon fruit for Tu BiShvat, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein

I went to visit the cave of Eliyahu. I took the cable car and followed a path which seemed to lead to the cave.
A Russian couple explained me in their language to follow a group of young persons.
When I arrived close to the cave, I bumped into a couple of Scandinavians.
They have already been in the cave in the past, and they came with me.

Beginning of the path to go to the Cave of Eliyahu, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
A lady stopped me at the entry, and asked me if I was a Jew. "Yes, i am a BT." "Welcome home!", she replied, and we blessed all the food she gave me.
Then, the wine, and I was surprised by the taste. She wanted to know if I liked it. "It tastes like Coke." Oy vey! I couldn't drink that, it was like if I cheated. She gave me the wine.

The back of the lady at the entry of the cave, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Eliyahu's Cave, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Eliyahu's Cave, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Eliyahu's Cave, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein
The Scandinavian woman has probably Jewish blood coming from her great grand-mother. She wants to make DNA test.
I asked the lady if she could bless her, or doing something else for her. They talked.
Then, we went out. 


In the summer, there is a cafe, but that day, there was no cafe. That room was full of people. I didn't actually pay attention about their origins. I thought that they might be Sephardi or Arabs.
The couple talked with a man that they knew. He belonged to the family who were not Sephardi or Arabs but Jewish Indians. They invited us to join them for their lunch.
Oh man! A funny man asked me so many questions by yelling at a woman and a young girl because of his non knowledge of English. A real investigation on me. That was funny and so full of kindness that we had to stay.
I dislike Indian food, but I had a good Indian star that day, because what I tasted was pretty good. Not easy to know all the ingredients which came with the rice and the sugar, they didn't know the English names.
And it was the starter. The Scandinavian woman cried because of their kindness.
Her husband and her were there for vacation and volunteer work in a hospice.
I had to change my daily plans. They wanted us to eat a huge sandwich with cream cheese, pickles, omelet, etc... I declined the offer. But the couple ate, and the lady kept the half sandwich for later.
I asked if I could take photos.
They made Aliya a long time ago, they live in the suburbs of Tel Aviv and they were in Haifa for the day.
That was an awesome moment: davening, blessing, eating, and drinking.

The Indian Jews, Eliyahu's Cave, Haifa, Februray 2015, ©emmarubinstein

What I didn't find humanly during the 4 last years, I am finding it here all the time around me. That's so obvious to behave and act like that, but I feel surprised all the time. 
That reconciled me with the human nature.
Then Tzfat for another post, tomorrow. ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment