Saturday, November 7, 2015

My first challot

Heard about the Shabbos Project ?
The idea comes from South Africa and now, the project is growing.
Last year, i heard a little about it in France.
This year, that was bigger.
My red pot and those of my girlfriends, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein
My red pot, gloves, flour, eggs, sugar, etc, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein

The week of the Shabbos Project, some evenings are organized to learn how to bake a challah.
The women have 3 responsibilities: to light the candles, the bake the challah, to make food kosher (kashrut).
I never baked a challah, i bought it.

I was not available for the evenings, but an impromptu event happened: i abandoned one of my job at the break time. I gave my badge saying that i will never come back. I felt free! For Americans, it might be seen like something obvious, not in my country!

The other good news was that i was available finally for learning how to bake a challah.
Challah or a boring job?
My choice was made!
Teenagers having fun, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein
Teenagers having fun, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein

My girlfriends from my Torah, Hebrew, etc classes are back with me that year. I met some of them during all the summer, sharing meals and lots of laughs. We have our HQ restaurant, and we are making friend with the owner and some servers who know pretty well when we are there.
In that restaurant, you can share a table with other people. There are many tourists, thus a good occasion to practice my English.
Teenagers having fun, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein

Teenagers having fun, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein

It happened that my girlfriends were all there at the evening.
We were all at the same table.
There were 300 women. We have been welcomed so well.
A friend of mine has been at another challah evening the day before. I saw a photo of her and asked her why she was wearing a scarf on her head: "To avoid questions". Man! That's not a shame to have never been married.
I replied to her: "I want questions."

The ambiance was very funny. Everyone has her way to bake it.
When the paste is ready, women teach you how to braid the challah.
I didn't braid them but i looked at my friends.

To roll the paste is quite sensual. Look at your wife when she is making it, and let me know! :-)
My challah paste ready to go home, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein 
First challot round, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein 
Second challot round, October 2015, ©emmarubinstein

No comments:

Post a Comment