Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Rosh Hashanah II - part II

Once i left Willy, i went back in Crown Heights for the question of the day.
No one asked for it in Willy. :-(
Father and son, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein
My beloved Pupa shul, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein

The Lubaba were everywhere asking people.

I expected to avoid "Are you Jewish?".

I bumped into one group first, but that was not the good moment for me. I have to print my flight ticket.
Procrastination makes me run, and multitask.

The man who cleaned the street, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein 
The man who cleaned the street, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein 

Once done, i was free to enjoy all these men.

3 men came to me.
One child, one in his early 20s, and a man in his 60s maybe.
They might have seen the Magen David.
"Did you hear the shofar today?"
How i loved that question!
"No."
That was them today that i wanted on my shofar-ic path.
And then, in the middle of an hipsters street, Franklin Ave, i repeated the blessing that he said.
And the old man blew the shofar.

Father and son, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein
Street conversation, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein 
Smoker and pigeons, Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein

Behind me, i noticed a black woman, probably too coy to join us. I liked the way she stood, looking at us. The hipsters ignore us for my biggest pleasure.
The little boy was shy, and didn't dare to smile.
The young man asked for my first name. And my accent betrayed me.
He used to study in Brunoy, where there is a famous yeshivah. He was surprised that i know this place.
He was so happy to speak French, but i switched in English because of his two co-shofar-er.

The most delightful moment was the big smile of the old man. Usually, the old generation avoids my look. I want to talk to them so much because of their long life story. And i tried so many times.
He blew the shofar a long time. Such a breath he had!

VoilĂ  !
Last post from Brooklyn!
I killed my back by packing my stuffs.
My chumash and Magen David will travel in my cabin bag. And my poor cat is already terrified.

Holy conversation, holding their tallit, with different shtreimel,
Williamsburg, September 2014, ©emmarubinstein
Other last stories happened in Brooklyn before leaving, written from Paris, BH! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment